What happens when a lifelong passion collides with destiny? You create a legacy. Meet Bertha González Nieves, the CEO + co-founder of Casa Dragones Tequila, the renowned small batch tequila company.
A lifelong streak of mini business ventures in her hometown of Mexico City jumpstarted Bertha’s entrepreneurial spirit from a young age. After an international education (including representing Mexico as a young ambassador in Japan), Bertha realized her professional passion lay in the tequila industry native to her home country—much to her family’s surprise!
Weaving Mexico’s cultural identity, family celebrations, beautiful natural landscapes, an intricate production process, and the agave plant itself, Bertha’s fascination with tequila was unshakeable—‘love in crescendo’—as you’ll hear on Glambition Radio…
After positioning one of Mexico’s oldest tequila producers in the global market, it was time for Bertha to create her own legacy play. A fated conversation years later would solidify her dream of becoming a tequila entrepreneur… and the luxurious Casa Dragones brand was born! (Bertha is also the first woman to be accredited as a Maestra Tequilera by the Academia Mexicana de Catadores de Tequila.)
Bertha has been named by Forbes as one of the 50 most powerful women in Mexico, the Los Angeles Times calls her ‘The First Lady of Tequila,’ Food & Wine and Fortune magazine named her one of The Most Innovative Women in Food & Drink, and the Financial Times says she is ‘a tough entrepreneur and co-founder of one of the chicest brands in a business rooted firmly in Mexican machismo.’
On this episode of #GlambitionRadio, you’ll hear:
- Why tequila plays such an impactful role in Mexican culture… and how the spirit represents the effervescence of Mexican craftsmanship, creativity, and attention to detail all over the world (hence Casa Dragones’ many accolades!)
- The random meeting with this famous founder—and ensuing ‘bar talk’—at a New York anniversary party that would launch Bertha’s dream career in the tequila industry (was this fate or coincidence? You decide ;))
- How Casa Dragones is advancing tequila to compete with the best in whiskey and other luxury spirits all over the world—plus, the RISKY decision to launch the brand at an inopportune time (imagine tracking sales via individual bottles, instead of cases… ouch!)
- Bertha’s belief in doing one thing well… and tapping into the power of focus to produce the best possible product on the market (I LOVE this perspective, especially in the age of marketing FOMO)
- How Bertha’s entrepreneurial ‘flavor of the month’ streak ended with the tequila industry… and how she discovered her calling within her passions for Mexico, tequila, and entrepreneurship
- And (bonus) how I personally credit some really good tequila for helping me drop some extra pounds. (Seriously… hear me out on this one!)
Head to Apple Podcasts now to listen to this episode of Glambition Radio (or download it for later).
P.S. I would love your review! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review and comment on Apple Podcasts. Select ‘Listen in Apple Podcasts,’ then choose the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ tab to share what you think. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!