Remember when—after years of ill-fitting, stiff jeans—it all changed in 2005? Suddenly the cuts were fantastic, the fabric was like a soft hug that moved with you, and we were all now happily paying well over $100 a pair. We have the founder of PAIGE Denim to thank. Not only was she the first female founder in the industry, but Paige Adams-Geller changed the way we wear jeans. And today, I have her walk us through exactly how she did it on this episode of Glambition Radio.
After years of starving herself to make it on camera as a model and actress, Paige sought treatment for an eating disorder. Afterwards, she needed to find a healthy place to resurface that wasn’t in front of the camera. By chance, she then found herself in the world of ‘fit modeling’, where designers would test their creations on a real body instead of a mannequin. It was as a fit model for Seven for All Mankind that Paige came to learn all about the denim industry.
On the show she shares how it was rare for a fit model to open her mouth and give suggestions regarding designs, but it was well received.
And after a few years of realizing her recommendations were making others millions, she bravely decided to found her own brand. She had no experience building a business, but she knew how to design a damn good jean, and she’d been making some great industry connections over the past several years.
PAIGE Denim was born, and in less three months, she successfully launched her first collection at a New York trade show. Buyers went crazy for her merch, and from there the rest is history. You’ve got to hear this in her own words on this episode of #GlambitionRadio.
On the show, we also discuss:
* the history and evolution of jeans, and how and why premium denim ‘happened’ (partly demand, but mostly due to improvements in fashion technology—I found this part fascinating)
* the washhouse process behind what it takes to make a comfortable, amazing looking pair of jeans (it truly is an art)
* how Paige has built a safe work environment that empowers women (this was important to her, as she had an unfortunate #MeToo experience early on in her entertainment career)
* how she has managed to stay true to what she stands for for over a decade (TRUE versus trend – it can be tricky)
* where Paige thinks retail is going in the future, and how to prepare for it (and the importance she puts on being able to evolve – for example, while others are closing retail stores, she’s opening a select few)
* her new website and shoe collection launching in September (and why she’s taking back more control of the sales process)
(By the way, Paige is also speaking at my friend Keri Murphy’s Brilliant Event in CA on June 3-5, if you’d like to meet her in person! You can learn more at TheBrilliantEvent.com.)
On this episode of Glambition Radio, we also talk about the importance of embracing your voice and speaking up, how critical it is to trust your intuition and not second guess yourself, and why she makes it a priority to surround herself with young energy.
You’re not going to want to miss this one. So head over to iTunes and listen to this episode of Glambition Radio now (or download for later).
P.S. I would love your review! If you enjoy what I share in this episode, please leave a review and comment on iTunes. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!