Is *protocol* still relevant in these times? Absolutely, says this former United States Chief of Protocol.
As a first-generation American, Capricia Penavic Marshall understood the value and influence of etiquette + cultural niceties from an early age. Growing up in a multi-cultural family and taking ‘Miss Manners’ classes as a girl, diplomacy became a practice she would continue to master, and later put to work as President Obama’s social and cultural advisor in the position of Chief of Protocol.
On Glambition Radio, you’ll learn how Capricia served as White House Social Secretary in the Clinton administration, and United States Chief of Protocol in the Obama administration… roles where she enhanced traditional protocol methods with modern tools to build and strengthen relationships between dignitaries and industry leaders world-wide. And she’s sharing her strategies and stories in her new book, ‘Protocol: The Power of Diplomacy and How to Make It Work for You.’
Today, she is president of the Washington, D.C. based Global Engagement Strategies and advises international, public, and private clients on issues relating to the nexus of business and cultural diplomacy. Her clients include Bloomberg, 3M, and other Fortune 100 companies.
On this episode of #GlambitionRadio, you’ll hear:
- How mastering ‘protocol’ gives you a social advantage in both your business and personal lives—and why the smallest gestures can make or break a relationship
- The benefactor who recommended Capricia to former President Obama for the Chief of Protocol position… and why women MUST advocate for themselves (and others) to get a seat at the table
- Capricia shares her favorite part of the job as Chief of Protocol—and how presidents, prime ministers, kings, and other global leaders would respond to her in this significant moment (it gives me chills!)
- A funny story about presidents and the connecting power of noodles… and why open-mindedness is key to bonding with others!
Head to Apple Podcasts now to listen to this episode of Glambition Radio (or download it for later).
And come join in the conversation on Instagram or Facebook.
P.S. I would love your review! If you enjoyed this episode, please leave a review and comment on Apple Podcasts. Select ‘Listen in Apple Podcasts,’ then choose the ‘Ratings and Reviews’ tab to share what you think. I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
- Read Capricia’s new book, ‘Protocol: The Power of Diplomacy and How to Make It Work for You’
- Learn more about The Trust– my new premier network for 7+8-figure women entrepreneurs